One thing this past year has shown us, is that we need to be kinder to ourselves. Taking time to give ourselves some tlc. I have been talking with Karen J Gerrard. A skin expert and founder of SEAMS, who is sharing her tips on looking after our hands.
Our hands are run through the mill everyday. Yet when it comes to our beauty regime they are often forgotten about. Whether its work or pleasure they put into action what the mind wants to do. I must tell you our hands will age faster if they are not looked after.
Why? Well firstly the skin on our hands is thinner than anywhere else on our body. And naturally looses 1% collagen and elastin each year. So pair that up with dehydration, being used all the time (our hands rarely rest). Comined now the extra hand washing and use of sanitiser what chance have they got! Collagen will break down faster, skin will start to wrinkle and become rough. Fingers loose flexibility and whatever you are doing will become uncomfortable.
Follow these few simple rituals to help to keep hands soft, supple, and ready for action
- Moisturising and keeping your hands hydrated are the key to soft plump skin.
- Don’t wear wet washing up gloves, they are a haven for bacteria.
- If you scratch your finger immediately cover it with a protective plaster. To avoid water getting in and causing the skin to crack further.
- Use a gentle soap to help avoid irritations and wash with warm water not hot. Every time you wash your hands you are stripping your skin of the natural oils.
- Dry your hands thoroughly.
- Keep nails shorter and evenly trimmed so they are less likely to collect bacteria and break.
- Gently use a nail brush if you’ve been doing dirty work never pick!
- Split cuticles let in water, become painful and can damage the new nail underneath. If you have a hang nail trim it gently. And regularly massage oil into your cuticles to keep them sealed and conditioned.
- Don’t share nail files, clippers or brushes to reduce the risk of infection.
- Buff nails once a week to keep them smooth, nail varnish will apply easier. Or leave off polish and enjoy the hi shine.
- Stretch and massage your hands regularly to keep aches away. We can spend up to eight hours a day on our phones and keyboards. Not only does the heat from the devices dry out our fingertips. But repetitive strain can cause your hands to ache and stiffen. Which makes them visibly look and feel older and can lead to carpel tunnel !
- Moisturise, Moisturise, Moisturise, at least 3- 4 times a day especially before going to sleep. SEAMS Hand Cream is non-greasy and does everything you need to restore condition hands, Cuticles & nails fast!
- Drink plenty of water, it’s not just during the winter that hands get dry. Summer is just as bad, perspiring, air conditioning, the sun, chlorine from swimming pools. Touching soil if gardening can dry your hands and leave them feeling tight at the end of the day.
Our hands are the biggest indicators of age give them a helping hand.