The Fighting Never Ends

Today I am writing a very personal post, and something I have seen happen before and will no doubt see again and again.

Throughout schools all over the UK, teenagers are celebrating the end of their school year, the end of their exams and looking forward to the school Prom.

This is their chance to say goodbye to a lot of friends as they all move on to their next adventure, it is a time to be happy, to have fun. This is unless you have been unfortunate to suffer with a chronic illness, forcing you to miss school, even though you have been struggling so hard, harder than any of your school friends you get punished.

This is the story of an amazing Mother and Daughter, I am urging you all to read this and share, this is something that needs to be addressed.

Saffron attended Stowmarket High School, she used to love school and was a bright and active pupil until chronic illness took this away from her.  Despite this Saffron was looking forward to attending her school prom, this is something that has kept her going, given her a focus and something to look forward to.

Her school has now said no, why have they said no, because they are punishing her for having a chronic illness, as if she has chosen to be so ill, chosen to miss out on her life.  Punishing her worse than if she had been playing truant.

Saffrons Mum set up a petition, to show the school which you can find here, thinking it would get a hundred or so signatures to show the school.  The petition now has over 42000 signatures.

The hotel said she could go, but have now said she can not go.

This is heartbreaking, any child living with a chronic illness, would do anything to be ‘normal’ to live a normal life and go to school, go out with friends, but because they are not, they get punished for something they have no control over.

This is something I have seen in previous years, and unless we make a stand this is something that is going to continue, our children are not stupid, they know if they are well enough to attend, their illness does not make them a health hazard.

PLEASE GIVE THEM SOME NORMALITY

Can I Please ask you all to sign the petition and share as widely as you can, for Saffron, for C when she is older and for every other children going through and facing this in the future.

Lucy At Home UK parenting blogger

5,678 total views, 3 views today

Digiprove sealCopyright secured by Digiprove © 2018 Samantha Donnelly

1. 27/06/2018 / 11:38 am

This makes me so angry, it just isn’t fair on kids already suffering enough. Like you said, they don’t choose to miss out on so much of life – it is heartbreaking enough, without lack of understanding making it worse 😢💔

27/06/2018 / 12:37 pm

I am angry, I am very angry and very bitter at how this illness has affected my own Daughter, I get angry when I hear about other children who are suffering as well. But being punished for being ill is disgusting it is again lack of understanding of the illness that we face time and time again. Yes they are ill, yes their education has suffered, yes their attendance has been affected or even not even made school, but with planning before an event, they can forget their illness and be like any normal teen just for a few hours, yes they will suffer after, yes they will crash and be in pain and bedbound, but for a few hours they can forget about that and have something to remember.

2. 27/06/2018 / 11:39 am

This is awful, how dare the school and hotel. This girl was striving for a memorable time in her life to forget for one night her illness exists and be at one with her classmates. Her school took that right out of her hands for what reason ..?

I’ve signed the permit ion and shared this post 🙏🏼

27/06/2018 / 12:33 pm

It is disgusting, but unfortunately this is just not one person this is happening all over the country, and it needs to be highlighted, it is heartbreaking that our children are being punished for being ill. They did not make this a life choice this was something they never asked for, and now they are being punished x

3. 27/06/2018 / 12:38 pm

Signing up now! Fantastic post! I wish I could do more!

27/06/2018 / 12:50 pm

Thank you so much, signing the petition will help, over 42000 people agree this is disgusting and just shows how unfair being punished for having a chronic illness is x

4. 27/06/2018 / 4:39 pm

Oh my gosh, this is so heartbreaking! I didn’t go to my own prom because family life was rocky and I would love to go back and have the opportunity to go again. This is such a sad story and I can’t believe it’s happening.

27/06/2018 / 4:51 pm

Unfortunately this has happened previous years and will continue to happen, it is heartbreaking that children are being punished through being ill

5. 27/06/2018 / 8:03 pm

How disgusting, how can they tell her no because of her chronic illness! Until some people go through it themselves or through a loved one, it’s like they never understand but regardless, where is their conscious!

28/06/2018 / 12:01 am

A lot of people do not understand but the school have all the medical evidence. Chronic illness is horrible and something non of our children deserve let alone being punished for it

6. 27/06/2018 / 9:08 pm

This is heartbreaking! No child should ever be punished for something like a chronic illness. Thank you for sharing!

27/06/2018 / 11:59 pm

It seems having a chronic illness is punishable. I see my own daughter living with it I bet the head can’t even cope with a cold x

7. 27/06/2018 / 9:33 pm

If the school are treating a provable period of illness as though it were truancy, that’s more than cruel, they might well be breaking the law as well.

27/06/2018 / 11:58 pm

This has been highlighted to them unfortunately they are refusing to acknowledge x

8. 27/06/2018 / 9:56 pm

This is heartbreaking for the child as she is not doing it on purpose and the school can’t seem to understand that. Heading to a prom is such a big deal for someone her age and I do hope she is given exemption.

27/06/2018 / 11:57 pm

It is heartbreaking unfortunately no the school are hoping we all go away and this will be forgotten x

9. 28/06/2018 / 2:42 am

The more we stop them from experiencing “normal” life, the more they’ll feel different and that will greatly affect their confidence as well. I hope something can be done and that getting people to sign a petition helps these young ones with chronic illnesses experience life as they should.

28/06/2018 / 9:38 am

All our children want us to be normal and unfortunately they suffer with this illness through no fault of their own but are being punished for it

10. 28/06/2018 / 4:37 am

This is very heartbreaking, I cannot even imagine. Glad that you are sharing this so that we can be more open eyed to what happens. I am so sorry to read this story but hope it inspires us to open our eyes and be friendlier TO EVERYONE.

28/06/2018 / 9:36 am

Thank you this is is just one thing our children have to suffer with

11. 28/06/2018 / 4:53 am

I think this is a fabulous way to to make people aware of chronic illness. Hopefully, she will be able to go to everything.

28/06/2018 / 9:35 am

Thank you still saying no at the moment

12. 28/06/2018 / 6:07 am

I don’t understand why they aren’t letting her go to the prom, that’s awful that she’s not being allowed to enjoy it the same as eveyone else x

28/06/2018 / 9:34 am

Because they are punishing her for being ill and having a chronic illness. If she had been playing truant she would have been going

13. Jem
    28/06/2018 / 9:34 am

This is so sad an heartbreaking for the child involved. The school should be offering as much support as possible.

28/06/2018 / 6:07 pm

I know but I have just heard that with all the support from everywhere she is going and looks beautiful xx

14. 28/06/2018 / 10:09 am

I have chronic depression and they “handled” it at my school by putting me in student support every day missing all of my classes in my GCSE year etc… I eventually dropped out because what was the point? They were nasty to me to and sent a letter to say if I showed up on my leavers day I would be assorted off the premises like I had been expelled or something?!

I am now doing so much better. So many people think its is the end of everything when you get forced into these situations but I have since became a qualified beauty therapist AND a qualified Teaching assistant. I am now starting my own business and I blog as much as I can! I want her to know that although the school system is so stupid, ridiculous and unfair she will still have the best future she can!

28/06/2018 / 10:15 am

Heartbreaking at how you were treated, but you have done so well, thank you for sharing this it really is lovely to hear how well you are doing x

15. Elizabeth O
    28/06/2018 / 4:29 pm

This is very unfair, they are punishing a child for something out of her control. I hope they let her go!

28/06/2018 / 6:06 pm

I know it is heartbreaking x

16. 28/06/2018 / 4:33 pm

Oh this is so heart breaking. I really hope that the school admin and the hotel will reconsider for this young girl. What trouble will really Saffron bring to the prom?

28/06/2018 / 6:06 pm

She won’t bring any the worst will be she gets tired

17. 28/06/2018 / 5:21 pm

I can’t believe how sometimes schools and other institutions that are meant to be supportive and protective tend to be, in a way or the other, aggressive towards the weaker (kids and families). Stay strong! NEVER GIVE UP.

28/06/2018 / 6:05 pm

Unfortunately this is just one battle we face daily x

18. 29/06/2018 / 11:15 am

I can’t believe this. Poor girl as if she doesn’t have enough to contend with. I hope it gets sorted for her

29/06/2018 / 10:42 pm

I know it was heartbreaking, but she did manage to go to the prom and had a great time x

19. Jennifer Prince
    29/06/2018 / 10:13 pm

Ug, I am so sorry that happened. People really need to think about what they are doing and how it can affect someone else in these days!

29/06/2018 / 10:40 pm

I know it is so sad, but she did go to the prom and had a greqt time x

20. 30/06/2018 / 10:08 am

It’s very very disheartening when someone gets punished for what’s not even her fault! And the school doesn’t even support her! The poor girl should be treated as all other kids out there!

30/06/2018 / 10:39 am

I know, sadly this happens every year, but thankfully she did go to the prom and had a great time x

21. 01/07/2018 / 1:23 am

This is horrendus! I Really hope she attends, because there is literally no reason they shoudn’t allow the child a night with her school friends… Heartbreaking…

01/07/2018 / 10:23 am

I know, but sadly this is not an isolated case and I have seen it happen so many times, but am happy to say that they did let her go, she looked beautiful and so happy x

22. 02/07/2018 / 5:02 pm

Just signed! I can not believe the school is so disgusting, poor Saffron, this is a night that all children look forward to, closing a chapter when a new door opens.

03/07/2018 / 9:47 am

I know it is heartbreaking what our children have to suffer, if having an illness is not suffering enough x

23. 05/07/2018 / 10:32 pm

I’m glad from reading the comments that she had the opportunity to go in the end. It’s heartbreaking when our kids are sick but it just adds insult to injury when others overide your parental choices when all you are trying to do is bring a bit of happiness into their lives. Congratulations on having your post selected by another blogger to be featured on the #blogcrush linky. Feel free to pop over and claim your ‘I’ve been featured’ badge

06/07/2018 / 10:12 am

Thank you, it should never have got to this stage, but as parents and as a child of that age they are old enough to know their own mind and if they can cope with it. The support was amazing. I will pop over now and claim my badge thank you x

19/07/2018 / 11:04 am

It is so sad the things we have to fight for just because our children are unlucky to be ill, luckily this did end up with a happy ending x