Online Friends

This quote came up on my Facebook the other day, I have shared it on my own wall previously.  It is about online friends and friendship.  Some people laugh at these, my own husband has at times, but you can make great online friends.  This week more than ever this has shown and I wanted to share my various experiences with you.

I will start with my first group of online friends, when I was pregnant with C, I was reading a pregnancy magazine one day and they had a forum where you could join and speak with other expectant Mums all due in the same month.  Our children are now 14 and most of us are still friends and keep up to date with how we all are and how our children are doing.

My second group of online friends are again from a forum, this time one I joined when C was a baby, and again through a Mother and Baby magazine.  We have now moved to a private Facebook group, some have left but most of us have stayed.  We are a very mixed bunch living all over the place, with children of varying ages, and now some of us Grandparents as well.  Some of us have never met, others have found real life best friends, some of us have met a few from the group.  We have laughed together, cried together, supported each other, argued together and we come together in a crisis.

With a group of a load of women it is bound to get heated at times, and there are often fallings out, but we have all known each other so long, that we just agree to disagree.  We have all gone through so much together from relationship break ups, to losing children, to serious illnesses, and losing a partner, plus a whole lot more.  This year alone one of our friends sadly lost her life, to say it rocked us all was an understatement, I was lucky to have met her a few times.  This week something unthinkable happened to one of the group. Our group is somewhere we can go and talk about anything, without judgement and we will get honest answers, even if they are not what we want to hear, you get told straight.  If someone upsets one of us, you upset us all.  But there have been so many memories and so many laughs over the years, and so many friends too.

Another group is the one I am in for parents of ME, this has been my rock over the past two years, and a place where I can talk openly and get the full understanding.  Not just I could not cope with that, or they are just lazy, or hope they get better soon.  I have also met with a few other Mums and it was lovely as we can talk about it openly, give advice.

And last but not least the Blogging community groups, you would think that we would all be competing against each other, and there would be a lot of underhand comments going on.  This is far from the truth, in the nearly 3 years of writing a blog, only once have I come across someone like that, and that was only in the past month.  Everyone in the blogging community has been so helpful, and we are genuinely pleased to hear of good news, and share opportunities when we can.

I know a lot of people out there say online friends are not real friends or you can not class them as friends.  All I say is that they have not been lucky, as you can make good friends online, even if you never meet.  I feel very blessed to call them my friends.

Do you have any online friends?

1,175 total views, 8 views today

Digiprove sealCopyright secured by Digiprove © 2018 Samantha Donnelly

1. 27/03/2018 / 12:32 pm

I have quite a few online friends….People I’ve only ever spoken to online and never met in person. I actually speak to them more than some of my real life friends. lol I class them as real friends x

27/03/2018 / 2:13 pm

I am the same, I have some amazing online friends and most of them I will probably never meet, but some people just think that friendships like this do not exist.

2. 27/03/2018 / 9:19 pm

Hands up most of my friends are online and many part of the blogging community. It is nice as well when you work from home to feel so alone you can always moan at them when things get tough!

27/03/2018 / 9:23 pm

I think it is becomming much more common to have more online friends now, at least social media has some good uses to it x

3. 28/03/2018 / 4:00 am

I think many people have differing views about online friends, I have met (online) some really great friends and fortunate to have met a few online friends offline.

28/03/2018 / 9:40 am

I think they do differ in views, I think also the way we live now as opposed to even 10 years ago the way we live has changed, as there wasn’t social media x

4. 28/03/2018 / 5:27 am

I have quite a few online friends as it’s so much easier to connect with people now than it ever has x

28/03/2018 / 9:16 am

I know and it is becomming more and more that you connect online than real life x

5. 28/03/2018 / 6:09 am

I think it’s unreal how much online friends can help you out, I’ve been through so much with them, but it’s always nice to know that they’re going through the same.

28/03/2018 / 9:15 am

Online friends can be a huge support, C has one friend who she started talking to before she became ill who has been there every day for her and she is the one who supports her the most x

6. 28/03/2018 / 1:09 pm

I guess in this day and age, its easier to make online friends than friends on the street. Imagine you walking up to someone on the street, they might give you strange looks compared to if you say hi to someone online. This is great that you still keep in touch with your online friends 14 years on.

28/03/2018 / 2:07 pm

This is very true, some people knock social media but it does have its advantages x

7. Danielle
    28/03/2018 / 4:19 pm

I think it’s just the way things are moving now. People spend so much of their time online, it makes sense that they make friends that way too.

28/03/2018 / 7:02 pm

You are right, my Husband and I were having this conversation recently and said when we were younger it was a case of arranging to meet and being there, we did not have social media or even mobile phones (now that does make me sound old)

8. 28/03/2018 / 6:44 pm

The blogging community is definitely a great place to meet new people. I’ve met lots of lovely people through my blog. I think often the comments about online friends not being really friends comes from the stigma that is sometimes attached to talking to people on online. I can’t really see the difference between online and offline friendships though.

28/03/2018 / 7:01 pm

I totally agree the blogging community is such a great community, everyone is so friendly and supportive. I do think the stigma goes back to when social media was a new thing and people just did not get it, and for some it has stuck x

9. Bella at Dear Mummy Blog
    28/03/2018 / 9:45 pm

The blogging community is great, with only the odd crazy comment now and then. We still have more offline friends, however have met some great people on our blogging journey x

29/03/2018 / 9:20 am

The blogging community is great, very supportive, I have a lot of offline friends as well. It is nice to have a mix x

10. Angela Ricardo Bethea
    29/03/2018 / 8:50 am

Nowadays, we can make friends easier on online than in the streets. It is so much easier to get connected in online and other social media.

29/03/2018 / 9:18 am

I agree social media has made it easier to connect with people x

11. Charli Bruce
    29/03/2018 / 10:29 am

A lot of my friends used to refer to themselves as my real friends and any bloggers I had made friends with as my ‘internet friends’ like they just weren’t as high status as them. Some of my best, supportive friendships have come from people I have met online x

29/03/2018 / 1:05 pm

I class real and online friends the same, especially with blogging and my daughters illness as my ‘real life’ friends do not understand. I think these days it is more acceptable to class online friends as friends x

12. 29/03/2018 / 7:09 pm

As sad as this sounds I’m a loner. I have a few friends from when I was teen but now I’m 28 and just don’t really have any online or offline strangely I’m happy with that although I would like a few to go for coffee with x

30/03/2018 / 10:55 am

Everyone is different, I think as we get older though we have less friends as we value quality over quantity x

13. 30/03/2018 / 8:24 pm

I have ‘met’ a fair few people through blogging and there are some that I talk to daily and often find them easier to talk to than the ones in real life x

30/03/2018 / 8:38 pm

I agree it is easier to talk to online friends than real life ones at times x

14. 31/03/2018 / 7:02 am

I have more online friends than I do in RT friends. Mainly because I work from home and around my children. Its amazing having so many online friends, though. It’s a great support system, too.

31/03/2018 / 8:38 pm

I have more online friends as well, but my real life friends are friends for life and will be there in a shot if ever I needed them x