Valentines Day

Whether you are in a relationship or not, you can not escape Valentines Day, it is being advertised everywhere from 2nd January.

We never celebrate Valentines Day, my Husband says why should I pay double the amount for a bunch of flowers and go out and spend more money on a limited selection meal out, and I have to agree with him.  I do think it is lovely and sweet when you are young or in a new relationship.

Don’t get me wrong I love a bit or romance and I love receiving flowers or chocolate or being taken out for a meal, we just do this on other days throughout the year.

We have celebrated Valentines Day in the past.  Valentines Day 2002, I had to go into hospital for an exploratory operation, if you have read my babyloss story you will know why, my husband dropped me off early and came back to pick me up later that afternoon, I was groggy from the general anesthetic, driving home we chatted and he suddenly says one of the cats has trashed the bathroom (he always moaned about my cats) I have just shut the door for you to sort out when you get home.  As you can imagine I was fuming and let him know it, and then sat there seething all the way home.  I walked in opened the bathroom door, to the biggest bouquet of red roses, so had to do lots of apologising.

I have also found some interesting facts about Valentines Day that I thought I would share

1. One of the most popular theories about Valentines Day is that Emperor Claudius II did not want Romen men to marry during wartime.  Bishop Valentine went against his wishes and performed secret weddings, he was jailed for this and before being executed he wrote a note the the Jailors Daughter signing it ‘from your Valentine’.
  2. In Victorian times it was considered bad luck to sign your Valentines Day card
  3. Apparently 3% of pet owners will give their pets a valentines gift (I am not one of the 3%)
  4. About 1 billion valentines cards are exchanged each year
  5. In 1537 King Henry VII officially declared 14th February the holiday of St Valentines Day

Do you celebrate Valentines Day?

Are you doing anything nice today?

1. 14/02/2016 / 1:32 pm

My husband and I celebrate Valentine’s Day. I like to celebrate any small thing I can remember: when we’ve met, first date, when we moved together, when we got married (2 times, 2 months apart with 2 different ceremonies) and so on. He like celebrating anything if it involves cake or/and presents. :)) I don’t think we can show our love every single day, because we have work to do or we have a cold and we are not terrible romantic either (the hubby and I). So, having these type of special occasions is fun.

14/02/2016 / 2:29 pm

I do love presents and I love cake, we have friends that celebrate everything as well. How lucky were you to have 2 ceremonies, although it must have been stressful at the time tyring to arrange both x

2. 14/02/2016 / 1:43 pm

Great post as usual, I have to admit I don’t celebrate Valentines day the traditional way but this year I am having fun with my friends and going out for dinner. But then we always aim to do that every fortnight so its no different! Sorry to hear about your op but it was very sweet of your husband to surprise you!

14/02/2016 / 2:27 pm

Thank you and hope you have a lovely dinner out with your friends. The op was years ago now but I still remind my husband how mean he was to me, but how he was forgiven when I saw the flowers x

3. 14/02/2016 / 1:51 pm

I am NOT a fan of bloody overblown commercialism day despite being in a happy marriage. I resent being told when and how I have to show affection to my partner. Valentines just seems to be about show and oneupmanship rather than love.

Wow, sorry Sam. What a rant!

Loving your new look!

14/02/2016 / 2:25 pm

You did make me laugh, you sound just like me, I totally agree and you can rant away anytime.

4. 14/02/2016 / 1:54 pm

We went to Amsterdam a few years ago for Valentines day which was nice, but like you, we have the same view x

14/02/2016 / 2:24 pm

We like Amsterdam, I think a lot of people don’t celebrate these days x

5. 14/02/2016 / 7:10 pm

I am single so haven’t celebrated Valentines Day this year but I totally understand where you are coming from.
    I think it is overrated and shouldn’t be about the value of gifts especially when they are increased at this time but should be about appreciating each other x

14/02/2016 / 8:11 pm

We have had a lovely day together and a nice dinner, but not done anything as our Daughter is unwell, but we don’t go into all the commercialism

6. 14/02/2016 / 7:57 pm

I am single this year the first in 18 years so no red roses for me this year

14/02/2016 / 8:09 pm

Am sorry to hear that Happy Valentines Day x

7. 14/02/2016 / 8:40 pm

We do and we don’t. We get each other a card but don’t go all out like some do

15/02/2016 / 10:06 am

Hope you had a lovely day x

8. Helen Clark
    14/02/2016 / 9:24 pm

Great post, I agree that Valentines is over-priced and think its better to show someone you love them every day.
    I’m single this year but have been out for Sunday dinner with all the family and had a surprisingly good day! x

15/02/2016 / 10:05 am

Glad you had a lovely day x

9. 14/02/2016 / 9:32 pm

1 billion cards that is ridiculous! I’m single so didn’t celebrate it this year but even when I have been in relationships I don’t see the fuss and I totally agree with your husbands thoughts, why people more on that day?! x

15/02/2016 / 10:05 am

I know that shocked me as well, I have nothing against people celebrating valentines day, it is just that some go so over board

10. 14/02/2016 / 10:12 pm

What a lovely surprise to find all those flowers waiting for you in the bathroom that day! I love how 3% of pet owners give their pets a present too xD

15/02/2016 / 10:04 am

It was a lovely surprise, I have never even thought about getting my pets anything x

11. 14/02/2016 / 10:20 pm

Some really interesting Valentine’s facts! I hope you’ve had a great day 🙂

15/02/2016 / 10:03 am

Glad you had a lovely day x

12. 15/02/2016 / 7:58 am

We only celebrate Valentines day as my husband doesn’t remember the little things on other days and would rather have the reminder. I like to make it less commercialised by making things myself. So sweet of your hubby to get you a big bunch of flowers, although I would be fuming at the excuse he gave too! 🙂 x

15/02/2016 / 10:03 am

I hope you had a lovely day, I wasn’t too happy with him but I did soon forgive him x

13. Erin - Yorkshire Tots
    15/02/2016 / 8:39 am

My husband has never gotten me anything for Valentine’s Day (he claims Brits don’t celebrate it) but this year I made heart shaped French Toast and gave chocolate heart lollies to the kids and it was the best Valentine’s Day I’ve ever had. They were so happy with their little gifts and both made me cards. It’s genuine little tokens of love that matter any time of year.

15/02/2016 / 10:01 am

Aww, little things are so much nicer than huge displays x

15/02/2016 / 10:00 am

Glad you had a lovely time x

14. Natasha Mairs
    15/02/2016 / 10:13 am

My husband always has to work on Valentines day, so we don’t celebrate it. I normally watch some chick flicks and eat loads of chocolate and just pamper myself

15/02/2016 / 10:51 am

That sounds like my perfect day x

15. 15/02/2016 / 3:10 pm

I love Valentine’s Day and I celebrate it with cards for my boyfriend and my daughter, but I don’t spend out more than that (I would if we were in the position to). We say our I love you’s all year round and we treat each other as and when, but a day of love has got to be a good thing, even if it just means one extra hug 🙂

15/02/2016 / 6:54 pm

We are like that with our love you’s all year round, and extra hugs are always a nice treat x

16. 15/02/2016 / 5:04 pm

Some interesting facts there. We celebrated kind of this year. I don’t really do Valentines however I got a card and chocolates in return.

15/02/2016 / 6:51 pm

You can never go wrong with chocolates x

17. Nayna Kanabar
    15/02/2016 / 6:38 pm

What a lovely surprise to find the flowers. We just spend valentine’s day quietly at home.

15/02/2016 / 6:50 pm

That was a few years ago now, we don’t celebrate valentines anymore x

18. 15/02/2016 / 9:30 pm

Oh! Number 5 on your list was interesting to know!
    Me and my partner didn’t do anything to celebrate Valentines this year, we aren’t really bothered about it much either if I am honest! It is a nice day to celebrate though

15/02/2016 / 10:43 pm

I quite enjoyed finding some history behind valentines day, I think a lot of people don’t celebrate valentines day either x

19. Liz Mays
    15/02/2016 / 11:19 pm

Those are really interesting Valentine’s Day facts. We had a low-key Valentine’s Day and it was really nice.

16/02/2016 / 8:00 am

Glad you had a lovely day x

20. 16/02/2016 / 8:09 pm

We give eachother cards but we aren’t too phased by it. I’d rather receive a bunch of flowers on a random day “just because” Or go on a fancy date night as and when!

16/02/2016 / 10:13 pm

Thats what we do random things throughout the year instead of a set day x

21. 17/02/2016 / 9:21 am

We don’t celebrate valetines day either, we just don’t see the point. Like you said everything is just more expensive and we show our love all through the year not just on one day

17/02/2016 / 10:01 am

A lot of people seem to feel the same x

22. 17/02/2016 / 6:34 pm

We never do much for Valentine’s Day apart from exchanging cards, and I might sometimes cook a special meal. To be honest, I’ve always thought it’s more for people sending anonymous cards to the object of their desire, rather than old marrieds 😉

17/02/2016 / 8:35 pm

I understand the anonymous cards and flowers or if you are in a new relationship, but we have been together 17 years now and it just seems like a waste of money x