Dear Daughter

11391786_10152918286732091_7692346625123394464_n

When I came across this the other day, I thought how very true it was.

This past year, we have really seen herself and her friends change.  They are growing up they have hormones running havoc and this makes for some very emotional times.

She started her last year in Primary like any other year, but this was soon to change, her BFF, who she had been friends with since they were in Reception was no longer her BFF, the world ended.  In turn everyone in the class who were BFF’s slowly stopped.  They were changing, whether this was because they all knew that one day soon, they would be saying goodbye to each other and going on their way to their new beginnings in Secondary School, or they just had nothing else in common, I do not know.  I was talking to the Head Teacher one day, as we had some other more serious issues, and she said it is so common to see this in Year 6.

It broke my heart seeing my daughter so miserable and upset she was every day.  Every day I would let her get it out of her system and she would talk to me, cry and we would hug for ages, and every day I would tell her it was her friends loss.  I explained, that people come into our lives at different times, she will have more best friends, some will stay, some will go. She is so special in so many ways, and she was popular and had loads of friends.

I wanted her last year to be special, to look back on happy memories, but it seemed the whole class were going through similar.  Luckily, she realised in her own time and own way, that they were never going to be BFF’s anymore, but that was ok, they got back to being friends, and happiness was resumed.

I would not go back to that age for anything, the trivial things seem so major at that age.

Luckily, although she is nervous about starting her new school, as it is going to be so different to what she is used too.  She is looking forward to it.

Domesticated Momster

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

1,160 total views, 3 views today

1. The Blog Centre
    26/08/2015 / 10:00 am

It is so awesome that your daughter has you to openly share her tears and concerns with.
    Good luck with the next chapter of her life

26/08/2015 / 10:11 am

Thank you, I hope our relationship continues where she knows she can always come and talk to me about anything x

2. 28/08/2015 / 1:37 am

My daughter went through the same thing and came out the other side. She went to a high school where she didn’t know anyone and she has made lovely friends and has settled beautifully. But watching her in pain for most of year 5 and 6 was horrible. Hold tight and do exactly what you are doing and she will make it through – stronger for it. Mel xx #monsterslink

28/08/2015 / 12:02 pm

Thank you, I am sure she will be fine when she starts her new school. You never stop worrying and you feel every ounce of pain they feel x

3. 28/08/2015 / 3:27 am

I love that your daughter feels like she can come to you to just cry. There are so many young people who try to deal with it on their own and can’t. I hope one day my children and I have that type of relationship. #momsterlink
    Kristen

28/08/2015 / 12:01 pm

Thank you, I am sure your children will come to you. I have just always told her no matter how small or how big or bad she thinks something is, she can talk to me about anything and everything, as I have probably been there and done it all before x

4. 28/08/2015 / 10:40 am

Oh this takes me back.. Bless her, it’s so hard being a teenager and coming of age. Sounds like she’s got a very supportive mum in you which will make all the difference x #momsterslink

28/08/2015 / 11:59 am

Thank you, I would not like to be that age again, and hope she always remembers I am there no matter what x

5. 28/08/2015 / 2:12 pm

I wouldn’t go back to this age is someone paid me. It’s such a hard time, the changes and transitions. I hope things go really well at her new school!

28/08/2015 / 2:30 pm

I know, she is nervous of starting her new school, just because it is different to what she has been used to, but I have told her about my first day where I knew no one as we moved to the area, and that made her feel better.

6. 28/08/2015 / 3:21 pm

This is such a lovely post. I hope that you and your daughter continue to have such a great relationship I think its so important to be able to have this. Great post. #binkylinky

28/08/2015 / 3:44 pm

7. 28/08/2015 / 9:18 pm

Interesting to read about the trials and tribulations of this age. My little one is much younger so nowhere near this stage, but I am a secondary school teacher so I see the ever-changing friendship issues that play out at school all the time, particularly amongst girls. Hopefully when she starts secondary school it will be a new start for her and things will be easier. #binkylinky

29/08/2015 / 8:38 am

Thank you, I know they get a lot more support at secondary school, so hopefully it will be a smooth journey x

8. 29/08/2015 / 3:53 am

I wouldn’t go back to my teen years if you paid me. Between hormones and mean girls I don’t know how I ever managed to even graduate from any grade. I think that’s why now it is so important that I tell my girls even at 3 and 4 years old to be tough. To not care what others say to them or think about them and to have confidence in themselves. I never want them to feel like they “need” to fit it and to lead and never follow. Raising daughters is hard and I have only just begun. Thanks for sharing this with #momsterslink….I hope your daughter has a wonderful school year full of happiness and new friends.

29/08/2015 / 8:36 am

Thank you, I say the same things to my daughter, it is a tough age, she really is stronger than she thinks she is x

9. 29/08/2015 / 6:59 pm

That’s a truly lovely quote and as a mother to twin girls I can whole heartedly agree with it. Thanks for linking up to the #BinkyLinky

29/08/2015 / 7:42 pm

I loved the quote as well, thank you for your comments x

10. Nige Higgins
    30/08/2015 / 8:51 am

It’s fantastic your daughter can come to you something my children have always done brilliant post thanks for linking to the binkylinky

30/08/2015 / 8:59 am

Thank you, I am lucky to have this relationship as I know some children feel that they can not do this x

11. jeremy@thirstydaddy
    29/09/2015 / 1:07 pm

This is such a difficult age. It’s great that she feels comfortable telling you what is making her upset. Keep that going for as long as you can. It gets harder and harder to keep that communication open

29/09/2015 / 2:52 pm

Thank you, I am hoping that we can continue down the same road of her being able to talk to me. It would break my heart if she ever felt she could not talk to me about anything x

12. 29/09/2015 / 1:01 pm

I am so pleased your daughter can share with you her concerns. It is hard to just be with them when they are consistently upset without being able to fix it but some things in life are just not fixable. It is part of growing up for her to realise that. I would not go back to that age for anything either. I hope things settle soon. I am sure once they do you will see her maturing even more. Kirsten

29/09/2015 / 2:53 pm

Thank you, this has been a real learning curve for her and she has come out a lot stronger x

13. 04/10/2015 / 7:56 pm

I think she has learnt a really valuable lesson really early on. It’s a shame she has been through this sadness, but it will help her in the long run. Thanks for linking up with #myfavouritepost

04/10/2015 / 8:03 pm

Thank you, I think it has made her stronger x