Pets with Children

I know some people love pets and others can not stand the mess and ties that come with owning a pet.  But to me they become part of the family, I also think that they teach children so many valuable life experiences too.

Yes, you can not just go out for the day and come home late, leaving your dog indoors all day without being able to go out, or feeding them, no idea what mess you would come home too.  There is the cost of feeding, vets bills.  The time you put into them with grooming, walking. But they reward you with so much love and friendship.

I have always grown up with dogs, and when I moved out of home I missed having a dog around.  Myself and my husband our huge dog lovers and we got our first dog when he was 10 months old

1930362_26298785988_4700_n

My best friend x

He became my best friend, he was so loving, and we had a cuddle and chat everyday, he got me through so much heartache, and when my daughter was born he was so protective and loving to her and accepted her 100%, and they had such a fantastic bond, there is nothing more heart warming than watching them both play together while she was crawling around or toddling, if Jay walked in her face would light up.

There is also the harder times, he became an old man, and 3 years ago today we had to make the heartbreaking decision to end his life with us, it broke our hearts and left an empty hole, but it also taught our daughter about death at an age where she understood it better (we had lost my parents dog and my cat when she was 2, so too young to really understand).  It taught our daughter a valuable lesson on grief.  She cried her little heart out along with us, and I told her to look out at the starts that night and look for the brightest star she can see, that will be Jay telling her that he is still watching her and he is happy.  So when she went to bed, she looked out and saw the brightest twinkling star and said that is Jay saying goodnight.

As hard as it was for all of us, and as hard as it was for her little heart, it was a good lesson for her to learn.

We made the decision, that although we would love another dog at some stage, we would wait as it would be hard to replace Jay.  Fortunately, the decision was taken from us and just over a month later Max, walked into our lives and brought smiles to our faces.

11755641_10155889855220188_6325148814731614776_n

My boy

He has certainly, brought happiness again, he is such a cheeky and argumentative dog, and I have never known a dog so funny, he stole our hearts straight away.  Another lesson learnt, that it is ok to move on and be happy again.

We all still miss Jay, I know I do daily, but with my Mad Max around you can not be sad for long and I swear Jay has left Max messages as some of the things he does is just what Jay used to do.

So my honest opinion, as long as you can care for an animal and meet their needs, then an animal teaches children so much.

11873458_10155968320835188_1400343925697417618_n

My boys

58377_10150268943695188_1937500_n

ANIMALTALES

701 total views, 13 views today

1. 14/08/2015 / 11:33 pm

Whenever I read posts like this I do think, aww, wouldn’t a puppy be lovely, but I haven’t grown up with pets and I really don’t know where I’d start. Also, I’m not sure if I could be dedicated to an animal, especially a dog, which is what’s needed
    I’m so glad you’re getting the most out of your new dog
    xx
    #WoTW

15/08/2015 / 8:56 am

Puppys are lovely, and my daughter is forever going on about getting a puppy, which at the moment is not the right time. They do take a lot of work and commitment but they are so rewarding. Jay got me through so much heartache along the years and I still miss him daily, but Max was a boom I am hear and I could not imagine life without him now x

2. 15/08/2015 / 7:36 am

I was always brought up with pets, too, and agree that it’s good for children to have animals around them. We had to have our beloved dog put down last month, and won’t be having another for some time, but just last week we bought guinea pigs for the kids and they are really enjoying helping to take care of them. Thanks for sharing ‘pets’ as your #WotW and joining in.

15/08/2015 / 8:54 am

Thank you, I know some people just do not like pets, I have a friend who can not stand the mess and ties, but they do teach children so much in responsibility, emotions etc x

3. 16/08/2015 / 10:59 am

Lovely post! We have dogs back home in the Philippines and I miss them dearly. My son is asking me if we can have one sadly we cant afford a dog but I ache for one. #wotw

16/08/2015 / 1:48 pm

If you have had dogs you do miss them when you don’t have one, we found it so quite when Jay died, and we got Max the following month, we was a rescue but I love him to bits

4. 29/08/2015 / 10:51 am

I agree that cared for properly, a pet is a great teaching tool for a child. Thanks for linking up to #SuperparentSaturday x

29/08/2015 / 10:56 am

Thank you, I think pets are great for teaching children a number of things x

5. 29/08/2015 / 9:53 pm

We have often thought about getting a pet, but the time has never seemed right. I do think they are great for children, to teach them to respect animals.

30/08/2015 / 9:01 am

We have been lucky that having a pet has worked with our life styles x

6. 30/08/2015 / 12:27 pm

I was brought up with dogs and had one of my own when I left home. I was heavily pregnant and ill with Number 2 child when she died and we decided not to get another dog until the children were both walking. I so missed having a canine friend and was over the moon when we finally got a new dog. I really cannot imagine life without one and they do teach so much to the boys, both in terms of what is needed to look after them and what humility they have. After going up to 2 dogs for 8 years we are now again back to one after losing another in between which was heartbreaking … but I still would always want a dog in my life.

Would you consider adding this post to my #AnimalTales linky that opens on Tuesday?

30/08/2015 / 1:11 pm

I can not imagine life without a dog, when we lost our dog we were all so heartbroken and decided we would wait, but Max came bounding into our lives and I am so happy he did.

Yes I will be more than happy to add this to your #AnimalTales linky on Tuesday, if you could tag me into it please x

7. 30/08/2015 / 1:18 pm

Your dog was absolutely beautiful! I too have grew up with dogs and when I left home at 25 that was what I missed the most. Luckily, my mum and dad live just a 5 minute walk so we get all the good bits of dogs (they have a German Shepherd and a foxhound), without the responsibilities. I do think it is important for kids to have pets. We live in rented house so limited to what we can have, but we have a cat, which the kids love. Thanks for linking up to #SuperparentSaturday 🙂

31/08/2015 / 8:16 am

Thank you, when I left home I left my black lab with my parents, I got a cat as hated not having an animal and then got another one, I only have 1 of my cats now who is an old lady of 23. I love dogs to me they make a home x

8. Lisa from Lisa's Life
    02/09/2015 / 3:02 pm

I can’t imagine living my life without a dog by my side now and I think you’re right about leaving messages as Stella does exactly the same as my Brodie did at times. I like to think of it as a living memory 🙂 Though both Labradors, they had such different backgrounds. Brodie came home as a pup and was a bold and confident girl, whereas I re-homed Stella who, almost 11 years on, is still so shy and sensitive. If I’m feeling blue and my eyes are closed, that comforting paw on my knee could be either of them. I miss Brodie still every single day but Stella fills a huge part of that hole 🙂

Jay and Max look very handsome best friends too 🙂 #animaltales

02/09/2015 / 3:15 pm

You feel the same about your dogs as I do about mine, I still miss Jay to this day, he got me through so much heartache and happy times, Max has certainly filled that massive hole we had, and he is such a strong character x

9. Tori Gabriel
    04/09/2015 / 7:34 am

What beautiful photos!

I think every child needs a pet. We have two cats and the girls love them (not sure the cats feel the same way though).

10. 05/09/2015 / 10:15 am

when our children were young we just didn’t have the time for larger animals so had hamsters, fish and chickens. we rescued a dog and were adopted by a cat a few years ago when we had the time to invest in their welfare and 2 of the children who were then in their teens were still at home. We went out on thursday night for slightly longer than the cat expected to be shut outside and as we opened the gate she started yelling at us as she wanted to go in

05/09/2015 / 11:20 am

My daughter would love a smaller animal but my dog would traumatise the poor thing, my cat gets very vocal if shut out she will mouth off on the kitchen window and then when you open the door she will either come in straight away or sit and look and stay put x

11. Tamsin
    13/09/2015 / 12:01 pm

Beautiful dogs!
    I was never allowed a dog growing up and had a cat instead. He was 2 when he died, and you’re right – it really does give them a lesson on grief and life.
    It’s a hard lesson to learn, but a valuable one.
    I’d love to have a dog, but it’d be left on its own from 9am-5pm.
    Maybe when Es gets older and I can work from home or something then that would be great!
    I’ve always wanted a dog, too 😛

13/09/2015 / 5:59 pm

Thank you, we are huge dog lovers in our house, he is certainly my baby. You are right though it isn’t fair on them if you are out all day x

12. i am Emma Wilson
    19/10/2015 / 5:00 pm

I love dogs, when the time comes that I settle with a family I would absolutely want to have a dog as a part of that. Your boys are gorgeous too!!

– Emma
    Blogger and BMS Student

19/10/2015 / 5:04 pm

Thank you, they can be pains but I love them to bits x