Tips to relieve the stress at meal times

If  like me you have a child or children who are fussy with their food, more often when it suits their mood, then here are a few of my tips to relieve the stress at meal times.  This way we are all happy.

1. My daughter loves mashed potatoes, but if like me you don’t always want to make mash potato or just peel a couple of potatoes to make the mash. When I make  mash I always make extra and then freeze down into portion sizes for my Daughter.  That way when making a meal and she wants mashed potatoes I can just get it out the freezer defrost and re-heat.

2. Yorkshire puddings, I always make extra when making them and then freeze them down, a couple of minutes in a warm oven while dishing up dinner and they are perfect, and much nicer than the shops frozen yorkshire puddings in my opinion.

3. If you have some fruit starting to look a bit old, then peel and slice and pop in the freezer, ideal for making those smoothies. Although I am lucky that my Daughter likes her fruit, but occasionally we have some that look a bit sorry for themselves.

4.  I usually make up  a batch of Bolognese sauce and freeze down in portion sizes.  You then just need to get it out of the freezer,  defrost and heat and cook the pasta.

5. Freeze down left overs, saves waste and a much nicer ready meal than shop brought. I do this with a number of meals, and is always handy to have a quick dinner you can rely on for those days when there just is not enough hours in the day, or something else crops up.

6.  If you children like soup, make your own, ideal for a fussy child who does not like their vegetables, as you can hide so many in a soup and they will have no idea.  Or make your own sauces and blitz the vegetables into it.

Do you have any other tips that you can add.  I would love to hear them.

1,088 total views, 1 views today

Digiprove sealCopyright secured by Digiprove © 2018 Samantha Donnelly

1. 15/08/2015 / 9:35 am

Some fantastic tips here. I have three kids under 5 so meal times can be a nightmare sometimes. I love batch cooking and freezing so once in a while we can have homemade ‘ready meals’ but in our new house we only have space for a two drawer freezer which is a nightmare! Thanks for linking up to #SuperparentSaturday x

15/08/2015 / 10:03 am

Space can be a problem, but I am lucky to have a chest freezer so makes batch cooking much easier x

2. 15/08/2015 / 3:34 pm

Good idea withe ripe fruit, I try to make smoothies once per week. Thanks for posting!

15/08/2015 / 3:49 pm

Thank you, I always try to find uses for things rather than throw them away x

3. 22/08/2015 / 7:49 am

Some great tips here! I need to be far more organised- I always intend to batch cook and freeze but I never seem to get round to it! Thanks for linking up to #SuperparentSaturday

22/08/2015 / 7:50 am

I find it so much easier when either in a hurry or we are having something that the fussy Miss will not eat. Thank you for commenting x

4. Tori Gabriel
    09/09/2015 / 5:47 pm

Awesome ideas. As my youngest is so young, I puree leftovers and freeze them for her. She loves her roast dinner ones.

09/09/2015 / 6:21 pm

When my daughter was a baby I would batch cook for her and freeze down all sorts of pureed meals for her x

5. 09/09/2015 / 5:59 pm

Some great ideas here thank you. I hate waste but we seem to get so much! I will defo be batch cooking and freezing from now on! x

09/09/2015 / 6:20 pm

I find it helps so much, especially for those days you are going to be rushing about x

6. So true! I love cooking and do most things from scratch. Seem to end up throwing odds and ends away and they are child portion sized. Really ought to just freeze them! Good thinking!

09/09/2015 / 7:31 pm

It does make life so much easier, especially if you are in a hurry or are eating later or something that the kids don’t like x

7. 10/09/2015 / 2:03 pm

I am all for anything that makes my life easier. Great tips, especially the old mashed potato one! Ray xx

10/09/2015 / 2:26 pm

It does make life easier, and if I can find a way to make things easier I will x