The Real Full Monty – For Prostate and Testicular Cancer

Like many other people last night, I tuned onto ITV to watch The Real Full Monty, with a group of brave celebrities recreating the famous scene from the hit film The Full Monty, which first became a hit 20 years ago.

The documentary was created to celebrate the films 20th anniversary, but also to raise awareness for mens cancers Prostate Cancer and Testicular Cancer.

I love the film anyway, and the idea behind the recreation is great, but for me it holds such an important message and my family have also been affected by Prostate Cancer.

A few years ago my Dad was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer, we had no idea he had it, and he had no symptoms, it was through something else that this was found.  Obviously it was a shock for us all, but on further hospital trips and tests, it was found he had the most aggressive form of Prostate Cancer which had also spread to his lymph nodes.  Christmas two years ago was a very emotional time for us all, and my Dad was scared, the first time in my life I saw this in him, and we all silently thought this could be his last christmas with us.  At the beginning of January he started an intense course of radiotherapy.  Luckily it worked, and he just has check ups every 6 months both with the Prostate team and Lymph team.  I have never been so scared in my life but we have been lucky and do have a happy ending.

As the same goes for women, these cancers do not have symptoms and often it can be too late.  The sad thing is and something I am very vocal about.  With women they are called for mammograms and smears, and any abnormalities can be picked up, but for men there is nothing, and Prostate cancer can be picked up from a simple blood test, or quick examination, and I do believe this should be made standard that men are called for screening also.

When I saw the program being advertised I knew I wanted to watch it for more than one reason, and I sat and laughed and cried at their stories.

So I would like to say a huge well done and thank you to

Alexander Armstrong

Ashley Banjo

Wayne Sleep

Mark Foster

Matthew Wolfenden

Danny John-Jules

Harry Judd

Dom Littlewood

Elliott Wright

The program documented the start with Alexander Armstrong and Ashley Banjo meeting and discussing how to get the idea into practice.  So they got on their phones and asked famous friends if they would like to take part.  We watched as the full horror of what was actually expected of them sink in.  We laughed as they practiced, we cried with the stories, and we cheered with the crowds.

They all did amazingly and they raised awareness for Prostate Cancer and Testicular Cancer.

I know this is taboo for a lot of men, but please get them to check or ask to be checked, it really is not that bad and can save their lives.

1. hannah
    17th June 2017 / 10:15 am

It does sound like a very good programme and for a very good cause too

17th June 2017 / 10:39 am

It was a good program just for the entertainment value alone x

2. 17th June 2017 / 11:26 am

I am so so glad your dad is well now! Can not imagine the pain and the sadness that you guys had to go through!

17th June 2017 / 11:44 am

At the time it was horrible, but we are through the otherside, and he just needs check ups. This is why it is such an important message to get across. If he had not had something else wrong with him we would not have known and he would not be here today x

3. 17th June 2017 / 5:54 pm

I have to admit I didn’t know this programme was on, but well done to them and ITV for highlighting such an important thing.

18th June 2017 / 10:52 am

It was a very good program and done in such a way that it was so entertaining without lecturing you x

4. 17th June 2017 / 7:23 pm

I am glad you have a happy ending with your dad. I have a friend who lost her dad to prostate cancer. I agree it important that men get checked out. I have been getting on my husband to start getting exams. I’m going to get on him more.
    This also displays how important it is to take care of ourselves as well.

18th June 2017 / 10:51 am

Thank you, I am so grateful now that my Dad had something else wrong and we took him to A&E for it, or no idea what would have happened. It really is an important message to get out there as you unfortunately know x

5. 17th June 2017 / 9:32 pm

I missed this but will watch it on catch up. It is so important for men to have regular checks. Great news that your dad is doing well!

18th June 2017 / 10:50 am

I thought the program was really good and did get the message out there, but you do not have symptoms so checking is very important x

6. 17th June 2017 / 9:45 pm

Sorry to hear that your dad was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer. I saw this programme advertised, not seen it yet, but heard great things about it 🙂 x

18th June 2017 / 10:49 am

Thank you, he is in remission now, but wanted to obviously talk about the program which I loved, but also show just how important it is to get the message across x

7. 18th June 2017 / 12:06 pm

It’s so important to check up regularly. Very interesting programme, will have to look out for it on catch up! 🙂

18th June 2017 / 7:07 pm

It was a great show , for entertainment but also fot hopefully getting the message out there x

8. Ali Rost
    18th June 2017 / 4:30 pm

I’m so glad your dad is doing well. It’s hard to imagine facing a diagnosis like this. I haven’t heard of this program, but will keep an eye out for it. Anything to raise cancer awareness is a good thing in my book!

18th June 2017 / 7:13 pm

He is doing great as in full remission with just check ups every 6 months, he is a tough old thing he also had a stroke a few months after the radiotherapy, and in a weeks time going to have hopefully two but if not one and then the other later knee replacements x

9. 18th June 2017 / 4:58 pm

I didn’t actually manage to watch this, but it sounds like a fantastic show – so many good celebs working together for such a worthy cause (which is obviously very close to your heart with your dad’s illness) x

18th June 2017 / 7:12 pm

It was a great show, even my husband was laughing, and yes very close to my heart but with a happy ending x

10. 19th June 2017 / 6:01 am

i totally missed this programme as we have been in italy for 2 weeks but will seek it out on catch up. I do however think its a wonderful and inspiring idea to use celebs this way!

19th June 2017 / 12:36 pm

It was a good program and a great way to get the message out there. I do think it is such a shame that screening is not carried out for this, and having celebrities promote it who do have personal reasons why is great. Although I think the star of the show was a man from a garage x

11. 19th June 2017 / 12:38 pm

I missed this so going to try and catch it today on sky catchup!

19th June 2017 / 5:27 pm

Hope you enjoy it x

12. 19th June 2017 / 9:07 pm

We also watched this and laughed and cried with the stories and the participants. How amazing was the guy who ran the garage who got 40+ people diagnosed out of several thousand.
    Just inspirational xx

20th June 2017 / 8:46 pm

We laughed as well and had a few lumps in my throat as have been through it with my Dad. The man in the garage was such an inspiration I loved him x

13. 20th June 2017 / 1:13 pm

This is on my catch-up list. Such a great way to raise awareness!

20th June 2017 / 8:46 pm

I hope you enjoy watching it, we did x