March 8th, is known as International Women’s Day, I do remember seeing this before, but never really taken much interest in it, as there seems to be a day for everything these days.
So after seeing various posts over facebook, I thought I would look into what International Women’s Day actually is.
So off I went to investigate more, and thought I would share with all you wonderful women.
- International Women’s Day is a worldwide event, and is thought to have been observed since the early 1900’s, and is now recognised on the 8th March each year.
- This year there is a Google Doodle featuring women and girls from across the world, with the sentence ‘One day I will’, marking their dreams and asperations. Women and Girls are encourage to take to Twitter, to share their own aspirations with the hashtag #OneDayIWill
- It is thought that International Women’s Day (or ITD for short) started in 1908 when 15000 women marched through New York, demanding voting rights, better pay and shorter working hours.
- This is the 1o5th year of International Women’s Day
- The theme for this year is Planet 50-50 by 2030: Step It Up For Gender Equality
- International Women’s Day also celebrates women’s achievements throughout history.
There are many ways you can join in and celebrate, and if local to London there is the Women of The World festival along the Southbank from 8th -13th March.
What are your thoughts on International Women’s Day do you think we should celebrate it?
Do you think it is a waste of time?
I would love to know your thoughts on the matter, both Male or Female views.
And for all you Men out there don’t worry you have your day as well, with International Men’s Day being celebrated on 19th November 2016.