International Women's Day

March 8th, is known as International Women’s Day,  I do remember seeing this before, but never really taken much interest in it, as there seems to be a day for everything these days.
So after seeing various posts over facebook, I thought I would look into what International Women’s Day actually is.
So off I went to investigate more, and thought I would share with all you wonderful women.

• International Women’s Day is a worldwide event, and is thought to have been observed since the early 1900’s, and is now recognised on the 8th March each year.
  • This year there is a Google Doodle featuring women and girls from across the world, with the sentence ‘One day I will’, marking their dreams and asperations. Women and Girls are encourage to take to Twitter, to share their own aspirations with the hashtag #OneDayIWill
  • It is thought that International Women’s Day (or ITD for short) started in 1908 when 15000 women marched through New York, demanding voting rights, better pay and shorter working hours.
  • This is the 1o5th year of International Women’s Day
  • The theme for this year is Planet 50-50 by 2030: Step It Up For Gender Equality
  • International Women’s Day  also celebrates women’s achievements throughout history.

There are many ways you can join in and celebrate, and if local to London there is the Women of The World festival along the Southbank from 8th -13th March.
What are your thoughts on International Women’s Day do you think we should celebrate it?
Do you think it is a waste of time?
I would love to know your thoughts on the matter, both Male or Female views.
And for all you Men out there don’t worry you have your day as well, with International Men’s Day being celebrated on 19th November 2016.

1. 8th March 2016 / 4:50 pm

I had no idea this event was so old! I’m actually quite surprised that such an event has been celebrated since the early 1900s!

8th March 2016 / 6:05 pm

I know, I had no idea either, glad I wasn’t the only one x

2. 8th March 2016 / 6:42 pm

I thought it was another modern day. Not to say it isn’t good, but I thought it was another day just put out there for us to take note of but not really fully understand. It’s fascinating to hear the history behind it. I think it’s great to celebrate women and particularly to push forward on equality, however I do hope there is a national mans day as well to celebrate perhaps great leaders or aspirational men of today and the past. Sometimes I think in our quest to become equal we forget our selves to be equal- something I’m probably very aware of because I have a son. x

8th March 2016 / 6:52 pm

I thought it was a modern day as well, I didn’t realise it had been going for so long until I started looking into it. And yes I looked it up there is a National Mens Day as well in November x

3. 8th March 2016 / 6:59 pm

I do like International Womens Day as it’s great to see women’s achievements in different fields being celebrated.

8th March 2016 / 7:40 pm

I thought it was a new thing, was quite interesting finding out the history behind IWD

4. 8th March 2016 / 7:44 pm

I had no idea that womens international day was so old! I love hearing the history behind it. xx

8th March 2016 / 7:58 pm

I had no idea either, I was got quite into the history behind it x

5. Emma White
    8th March 2016 / 7:59 pm

I have loved reading all these posts makes me proud to be a woman

8th March 2016 / 8:01 pm

I know it is nice to be celebrated x

6. 8th March 2016 / 8:43 pm

I had no idea there was an international men’s day, there was a guy I was speaking to earlier who complained there was not a day for men but there is! Yes we should celebrate how far we have come!

8th March 2016 / 8:45 pm

I used my friend Google, as wondered if there was one for Men, I suppose with equality it is only fair there is a day for Men as well x

7. 8th March 2016 / 8:49 pm

I think it’s a good day in some sense but it shouldn’t just be today where you tell women they’re awesome and inspirational. A bit like valentines day, it should happen every day! x

8th March 2016 / 9:54 pm

I totally agree, I first thought it was a new day, but looking up the history of International Womens Day, it has been going on since the early 1900’s

8. Nayna Kanabar
    8th March 2016 / 8:51 pm

Its great to see that women’s achievements are finally being noticed and they are getting recognition they deserve.

8th March 2016 / 9:53 pm

It is, but I never knew this has been celebrated since the early 1900’s

9. Fashion and Style Police
    8th March 2016 / 9:59 pm

I am happy there is a day like this to celebrate women all over the world.

9th March 2016 / 9:52 am

It is nice x

10. Liz Mays
    8th March 2016 / 10:36 pm

It’s good that this has been trending recently. I didn’t know about International Woman’s Day but we should definitely celebrate it. Most special days stay under the radar unless they can be used to sell stuff.

9th March 2016 / 9:52 am

I know, I had never heard about this before either, and was surprised when I researched more and found it has been going since the early 1900’s

11. 8th March 2016 / 11:58 pm

I think it is brilliant. There are so many women who have done amazing things throughout history. It would be nice to one day have complete equality for both men and women especially in the workplace. So interesting to hear that it was celebrated so early. I think of that time as being sexist with women having to keep ideas to themselves and the ones who didn’t were completely out of the norm.

9th March 2016 / 9:51 am

I was really interested to find out the history behind it x

12. 9th March 2016 / 1:37 am

I think it’s an awesome idea to celebrate it, women have come so far in the western world but it is sad they are still seen as second class in other places.

9th March 2016 / 9:50 am

I know I do think we should all be equal x

13. It’s SO important for people to recognise and celebrate International Women’s Day.
    Yes, there is an International Men’s Day too – and rightfully so – but the reason why IWD is still so essential is because men and women still aren’t viewed equally in society and the workplace, which is just absurd in the 21st century.
    This day came into existence because women had substantially less rights than men 100 years ago, and are still battling for equality today. The plain truth is we still have to work harder and shout louder to get what is often simply handed to men as a matter of course.
    The men who complain about the prominence of IWD should A: have to experience the constant bias and everyday sexism that women face – which we’re often so used to we barely even notice – and B: get off their backsides and make something more of their own day!!!!!
    Good on you for highlighting IWD. xx

9th March 2016 / 5:13 pm

Hopefully one day, there will be an equal place for both men and women x

14. Ickle Pickle
    10th March 2016 / 8:34 pm

With two teen daughters I think it is a very important day – it opened up all sorts of discussions for us – and with my teen son. My daughters must know they can be whatever they want to be – and I wish this was true worldwide. Great post to raise awareness. Kaz x

10th March 2016 / 9:39 pm

Thank you, my Daughter wasn’t up for discussions about it as still ill, but it is a good day to talk start the talk about them doing what they want to do x

15. Jessica
    11th March 2016 / 2:53 am

A proof that the women has been empowered for years though still a lot have been struggling. For those women who already felt such freedom, use it well as not all have the priviledge to get it. But one day, they will. 🙂

11th March 2016 / 10:37 am

It does show the struggles that women had all those years ago, and how far we have come x

16. Idaintyit
    11th March 2016 / 9:00 am

I didn’t realise this event had been around for so long. I like it I think its a great day. Have to admit I didn’t even know there was an international men’s day!

11th March 2016 / 10:36 am

I didn’t either until I started looking into it, I quite like researching things and finding out more, so am loving all these days and looking back into the history of them

12th March 2016 / 11:33 am

It is, as it shows that the women who fought for us many years ago are not forgotten x

17. Lena Hedges
    12th March 2016 / 9:19 pm

I had no idea it had been around for so long! Anything that inspires women can only be a good thing. Though as you said there is a ‘day’ for everything these days. Out of all the random ‘days’ I think this is quite an important one, women don’t get enough praise!!

12th March 2016 / 9:46 pm

There does seem to be a day for everything these days, but I never knew this day has been celebrated and started so long ago x

18. 14th March 2016 / 6:12 am

I think it’s a great idea, and I’m glad there’s an International Men’s Day too so they don’t get their knickers in a twist feeling left out!

14th March 2016 / 10:11 am

That is why I had a look to see if there was a Men’s Day as well x