Men and Shopping

Probably like most of us, I do the food shopping every week, I never take a list as I am a nightmare with lists, as my Mum found out when I went with her and I had her shopping list, we were walking from one side of the shop to the other.  I know what I need and very rarely forget anything.

Every week off I go armed with my shopping bags, drive to the supermarket and steer my way around the various aisles, dodging people who just stop in the middle of the aisles, or who block you looking for things, barge past you and never say thank you, as I carry on muttering under my breathe.

I often think just once it would be nice to have someone else do my shopping for me, ie my husband but then I remember why I stopped taking him shopping.

Last time he came shopping for food with me, he was like a kid in a sweet shop, we had to go down every aisle and the trolley was being filled with all these things I never buy, or he hadn’t seen before, or hadn’t had for ages.  I kept quiet and we got to the checkout and as I was finishing up bagging up the items I left him to pay, when he had got up from falling from the ground in shock at how expensive it was, I smiled that smug little smile, and said now you know why I don’t fill he trolley with all this rubbish, that you just have to have and I never buy.

This now brings me on to last Friday evening, he had been out to meet a mate, comes home and gives me £25 he had in his pockets, I said I didn’t need it and leave it on the side.  He said but you are going shopping tomorrow.  Now I have no idea what planet he lives on, and he obviously never listens to me, but told him since when has our weekly shop ever come to £25. I can spend £30 popping into the shop for some milk.

Then at the weekend, he announced that amazon are doing a pantry box and I had a look through it all with him, he announced later he had placed an order, it contained pot noodles, beer and a packet of haribos, need I say more.

Please tell me I am not alone in this, and that you haven’t got a husband who will do the food shop and come home with what you need rather than loads of other stuff you don’t need.

1. 16th February 2016 / 10:11 am

Yea my partner comes shopping and just picks random thinks he thinks we need/not on the list. I do my shopping myself now or online.

16th February 2016 / 10:16 am

Glad it is not just mine x

2. 16th February 2016 / 10:27 am

I simply have to take a list when I go shopping, otherwise I’d end up buying the whole shop hehe!

16th February 2016 / 10:43 am

I have tried taking lists and they just cause me too much work, so I have it all in my head now x

3. Lucy Melissa Smith (Hello Beautiful Bear)
    16th February 2016 / 8:52 pm

My boyfriend is like this. He CANNOT stick to a list at all and puts in so much more than we need which isn’t good when we’re on a budget! X

16th February 2016 / 10:13 pm

It must be a man thing x

4. Laura
    16th February 2016 / 10:13 pm

I am just like this, I am terrible with lists. I tend to do my food shop online as then I can go and check cupboards as I do it.

16th February 2016 / 11:10 pm

I do shop online once in a while, but get bored and I tend to forget half of what I need x

5. 17th February 2016 / 8:34 am

I always take a list and separate it into columns for fruit & veg, tins and packets, fridge etc. that way we don’t go back and forth around the shop. My hubby is great as he’s fairly stingy and will never buy anything not on it! 🙂 x

17th February 2016 / 10:03 am

That sounds like a better way to do a list.

6. 17th February 2016 / 1:01 pm

I do the food shopping and he either likes it or lumps it ha x

17th February 2016 / 8:36 pm

Same here now x

17th February 2016 / 8:36 pm

Same here, which is why I banned him and if I ever moan about him doing the shopping for a change he always says the shopping bill will double and we will have nothing on the list

7. 18th February 2016 / 12:58 am

Haha, my OH is actually pretty good shopping wise. But I think we both have a tendency to go overboard with junk food, so we only do our big shop’s online now. That way we don’t feel as tempted 😀

18th February 2016 / 9:50 am

I did let him do an online shop the other week as I was busy, I wont even tell you what came, but will say I had to go out shopping the next day x

8. rachael
    18th February 2016 / 8:17 pm

lol my boyfriend is a great shopper when it comes to clothes. or if he’s cooking and has a firm idea of what he wants to cook. send him to the shop for something for tea that he’s not thought about and it’s usually beer and cheese! that said, i’m not much better lol

19th February 2016 / 10:34 am

My husband is great at clothes shopping and a fantastic cook and can shop for ingredients, but normal weekly food shops and it can be all sorts that come home and then nothing to make dinners with x

9. 18th February 2016 / 9:07 pm

My husband spends hours in the supermarket, but never seems to come home with actual ingredients for meals, I have found it is now far safer to just send him to the local shop when we have run out of milk, he can manage that!

19th February 2016 / 10:32 am

Since my husband had his accident, all the shopping has been down to me anyway, apart from when he took over an online shop a few weeks back and I then had to go out shopping anyway. I think it is because they don’t see the whole range they just see what we bring home, so they then want all sorts of things when they go