Whether you are in a relationship or not, you can not escape Valentines Day, it is being advertised everywhere from 2nd January.
We never celebrate Valentines Day, my Husband says why should I pay double the amount for a bunch of flowers and go out and spend more money on a limited selection meal out, and I have to agree with him. I do think it is lovely and sweet when you are young or in a new relationship.
Don’t get me wrong I love a bit or romance and I love receiving flowers or chocolate or being taken out for a meal, we just do this on other days throughout the year.
We have celebrated Valentines Day in the past. Valentines Day 2002, I had to go into hospital for an exploratory operation, if you have read my babyloss story you will know why, my husband dropped me off early and came back to pick me up later that afternoon, I was groggy from the general anesthetic, driving home we chatted and he suddenly says one of the cats has trashed the bathroom (he always moaned about my cats) I have just shut the door for you to sort out when you get home. As you can imagine I was fuming and let him know it, and then sat there seething all the way home. I walked in opened the bathroom door, to the biggest bouquet of red roses, so had to do lots of apologising.
I have also found some interesting facts about Valentines Day that I thought I would share
- One of the most popular theories about Valentines Day is that Emperor Claudius II did not want Romen men to marry during wartime. Bishop Valentine went against his wishes and performed secret weddings, he was jailed for this and before being executed he wrote a note the the Jailors Daughter signing it ‘from your Valentine’.
- In Victorian times it was considered bad luck to sign your Valentines Day card
- Apparently 3% of pet owners will give their pets a valentines gift (I am not one of the 3%)
- About 1 billion valentines cards are exchanged each year
- In 1537 King Henry VII officially declared 14th February the holiday of St Valentines Day
Do you celebrate Valentines Day?
Are you doing anything nice today?